Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First day of school!

Hello everybody,
Today was very exiting day. It was ,so crazy . Everything that could go crazy -did!
Sammy had his first day at school. It was loud! He is use to quite and this is a great change for him. Child should be part of high energy and busy schedule.Sammy always found something to do before ,so it's time to start slow transition back to his old life.
Every teacher and helper was extremely helpful,showing genuine interest in Sammy and his routine. They ask many questions and I was little bit overwhelmed. It was hard to be separated from Sammy but our hero is moving on and I have to let him . Making adjustments to make this transition easy is necessary,not only Sammy started school-he also started different type of rehab .This time it will be only 2 days a week after school. Our Neurologist recommended to look for aqua therapy. This is Mom's new challenge.Why? Because it's hard to find individual lesions for aqua therapy,but nothing is impossible! This is a great suggestion,water will make it easy for Sammy to move and use other muscles that have not being used as much.Have any ideas ? Do you know of such a place -swimming pool that will have one on one sessions in NW suburbs ?
Today I realized that we must look for better solution with transportation options. We have to make some kind of arrangements soon to accommodate Sammy's 'Special Needs' .Van with lift for wheelchair is something that we desperately need .We hope to get some sponsors to help us purchase this necessary piece of equipment. At this point this is allot to think about ,but it's not impossible-it looks like this is another challenge that will keep us busy for a while.
XOXO Sammy,Mom,Family

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck in scool. may he go from strength to strength. may hashem give chaim shmuel ben chana a complete recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hello my name is Eric Stein and I just read about your situation and I think I can help you out. I myself work at the JCC in Northbrook and work with special needs children in an aquatic environment. The sessions are conducted in the water and are considered swimming lessons. They are far more than that. I work on range of motion, body strength and conditioning, and stabilization. Furthermore the lessons can work on mental acuities as well. I work with children who have disorders such as Autism, ADHD, Asburgers, Down Syndrome, Anxiety disorders, Low muscle tone, Sensory Integration,and more. I can tell you that the water is a great healing medium and I have scene first hand amazing results. Also there are Licenced Occupational Therapists that do aquatic therapy. I myself have worked under some of them and they are located at the Glen in Glenview Illinois. They along with Northwestern have a therapy pool and you may be able to have insurance supplement some of the cost. Feel free to contact me if you have any further quesitions my e-mail address is estein23@hotmail.com.
Best wishes
Eric Stein